Writing about things I've found useful.
Gahlord Dewald :: 3/10/22 :: Mānoa, Hawai‘i
Exploring how sound happens in our world and in our societies often leads to new thoughts and ideas about this world and about societies. In addition to making sound, sometimes I write about my experiences more directly. Writing helps me make sense of the world. I share these articles here in the hopes that something in them will be useful to others.
Thriving as a creative person
Some of the things I've learned about making a go of it as an artist. Many of these ideas are likely applicable to anyone making sense of the world.
- A Community of Practice Thoughts about the Pioneer Valley jazz scene where I first began working in free improvisation and some of the things that made that moment possible.
- Covid-19 Performance Standards My own boundaries on where I choose to place my physical body and the levels of risk I'm comfortable with as we go through this pandemic together.
- The Bonnie Jones Grant A method of pursuing creative endeavors that recognizes the financial precarity of contemporary artists and musicians.
Working with a variety of instruments, electronics, software, and hardware leads me into arcane knowledge and corners of the world's archives. The following articles are as mostly to remind me how things work(ed).
- Gain Staging Modular for Live Performance Among the challenges of working with modular electronics is learning how to connect them to other sounds systems.
Sketches, random notes, maybe some lists, the exhaust or flotsam of creative life in our world.
Across the Transom are monthly collections of the things I'm reading or bumping into. In olden days it might be called a blog.
- July 2022 Taruskin, social media flattening emotional feedback, the end of field recording.
- June 2022 i2c technical wiring stuff, lava lakes, content makes kings.
- May 2022 ZCam settings, Entrepreneurialism, NFTs, Nagra tape bias, focusing anamorphics, Robert Abia Moore, Sample Library Ideas Generator, housing in Singapore, biggest plant on Earth.
- April 2022 Black Mystery School Pianists, LM-1, Egg-based Copyright, Social Media/Value, Nadia Boulanger as a Teacher
- March 2022 Noise, George Lewis & Amina Claudine Meyers, Sister Rosetta Tharpe, Robin D.G. Kelley on solidarity
- Feb 2022 A show attended, performance microphones, Director of Humanities, start of the Russian war in eastern Europe.
Other stuff that doesn't have a clear category and so here it resides.
- Intelligent Signals A game piece for unsecured communications system.