Writing about things I've found useful.
Gahlord Dewald :: 1/31/23 :: Mānoa, Hawai‘i
Exploring how sound happens often leads to new thoughts and ideas about our world and societies. In addition to making sound, sometimes I write about my experiences more directly.
Thriving as a creative person
Some of the things I've learned about making a go of it as an artist. Many of these ideas are likely applicable to anyone making sense of the world.
- A Community of Practice Thoughts about the Pioneer Valley jazz scene where I first began working in free improvisation and some of the things that made that moment possible.
- Covid-19 Performance Standards My own boundaries on where I choose to place my physical body and the levels of risk I'm comfortable with as we go through this pandemic together.
- The Bonnie Jones Grant A method of pursuing creative endeavors that recognizes the financial precarity of contemporary artists and musicians.
Working with a variety of instruments, electronics, software, and hardware leads me into arcane knowledge and corners of the world's archives. The following articles are as mostly to remind me how things work(ed).
- How to Convert Hz to CV An exploration of the math required to convert frequency to control voltage, with examples in Lua.
- Gain Staging Modular for Live Performance Among the challenges of working with modular electronics is learning how to connect them to other sounds systems.
Sketches, random notes, maybe some lists, the exhaust and flotsam of creative life in our world.
Across the Transom are monthly collections of the things I'm reading or bumping into. In olden days it might be called a blog.
- Febraury 2023 Modernist Playlist, Solidarity & Late Payments, Networks
- January 2023 Morgan Talty, Timeline Repository, Cassette Multitracks
- December 2022 Corporate Slideshows, Touring, Microphone Selection, Afrofuturism
- November 2022 Punk, Tape machine reliability, New realities of touring, very model of the modern comp commissioner
- October 2022 The SoB, Insight, Magazines/Zines
- September 2022 Scenes surviving recession, Tara Rodgers & King Britt in conversation.
- August 2022 Conversations and readings.
- July 2022 Taruskin, social media flattening emotional feedback, the end of field recording.
- June 2022 i2c technical wiring stuff, lava lakes, content makes kings.
- May 2022 ZCam settings, Entrepreneurialism, NFTs, Nagra tape bias, focusing anamorphics, Robert Abia Moore, Sample Library Ideas Generator, housing in Singapore, biggest plant on Earth.
- April 2022 Black Mystery School Pianists, LM-1, Egg-based Copyright, Social Media/Value, Nadia Boulanger as a Teacher
- March 2022 Noise, George Lewis & Amina Claudine Meyers, Sister Rosetta Tharpe, Robin D.G. Kelley on solidarity
- Feb 2022 A show attended, performance microphones, Director of Humanities, start of the Russian war in eastern Europe.
Other stuff that doesn't have a clear category and so here it resides.
- Intelligent Signals A game piece for unsecured communications system.